Having pests in your home is always a serious inconvenience and makes day-to-day living uncomfortable and challenging. You may have tried many home remedies to eradicate the infestation and may have seen some minor results, but more times than not, the infestation returns in a much larger magnitude and by then, your efforts are simply not going to be effective. For some people, just the thought of living among critters and pests is a trigger for anxiety, obsessive-compulsive cleaning and probably ignites a few nightmares and restless nights as your imagination does its best to make you crawl out of your skin. Let’s be honest, though. Most people are not comfortable around pests, and even just one critter is too much to handle, even though you have your swatter at the ready and full can of insect poison aimed at the victim. Despite our many efforts to keep our homes clean and free from pests, it is often simply out of our control, and many times, our homes have been a nesting ground for years before noticing the first signs.
Thankfully, Old Island Pest Control offers extensive services to their clients for termite prevention in Courtenay, British Columbia, and delivers professional results every time.
Why Termites Are A Danger To Your Home
Usually, any insect or rodent is unwelcome in your home, but we are often completely unaware that colonies of termites are sharing our homes. Termites can go undetected for months, maybe even years, before homeowners realize there is an infestation. Unfortunately, being unaware comes with many complications and possible damage to your property, but termite prevention in Courtenay, British Columbia, can help you eradicate the problem. Take a look at how termites damage your property and decrease the value of your investment:
- Damage to the structural wood of your house – Termites, especially subterranean termites, are drawn to moisture and will therefore target the structural wood of your home first where the wood meets the soil. Typical areas for concern are the crawl space or along foundational walls. Unfortunately, identifying the problems means getting down and dirty underneath your home, but finding the infestation sooner than later may save you from serious damage and costly repair.
- Damage to the wood around windows and doors – damage to the foundational wood or wood inside the walls is not the only target in your home. Easier to inspect areas include the wood around doors and windows. Wood will appear wavy, have voids in it and will be weakened.
- Damage to the wood on the inside of your house – when the infestation has grown substantially, termites will make their way into your home and start feasting on wood such as wall skirtings, furniture and doors. Typically, wood inside the home will be a target for dry wood termites, but it is possible to have an infestation of more than one kind of termite.
Termites can and will infest every part of your home that contains wood and is best left to the professionals to proficiently eradicate the problem and prevent further infestation.
Tell-Tale Signs You Have A Termite Infestation
When you have a home full of kids and pets, it may be easy to overlook certain things and blame it on the puppy or your toddler, but there are definitive signs that they are not to blame – termites are! Take a look at these tell-tale signs that you have a termite infestation in your home:
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Small holes in drywall.
- Crumbling, damaged wood accompanied with sawdust.
- Excessively squeaky floorboards.
- Mud tubes climbing the foundation of your home.
Simply put, termites are a pain and can significantly damage your property from top to bottom. For professional termite prevention in Courtenay, British Columbia, contact Old Island Pest Control – the specialists in prevention and eradication.